This is a popular Chinese dessert. It can be served cold or chilled. Traditional recipes call for only milk. We use some coconut milk to add a little Southeast Asian flavor to it. The coconut milk also makes the egg custard smell very fragrant.
To prevent the custard from getting wrinkled and to achieve a silky smooth texture, we use aluminum foil to cover the custard during steaming.
This dessert is very simple to make and super delicious.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 2/3 cup milk
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 2 to 4
- Put eggs in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk.
- Add coconut milk.
- Add sugar.
- Mix well.
- Transfer mixture to 4 small bowls.
- Cover bowls with aluminum foil.
- Fill steamer with enough water and place it on stove.
- Turn heat to high.
- When water is boiling, place bowls in steamer.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Steam for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and serve.
- To make the traditional egg custard, just use 1 cup of milk instead of 1/3 cup of coconut milk and 2/3 cup of milk.
- We like our custard a little more firm. If you like a softer consistency, just add an additional 1/4 cup of water to the egg and milk mixture.
- To serve this dessert cold, just let it cool down and put it in the fridge for about one hour.