This is not your typical Chinese dish but it is very tasty and especially appealing to kids.
We use ketchup and a little red pepper flakes to make the dish tangy and slightly spicy. Of course, the garlic also adds a lot of flavor to the dish too.
Kids love this dish. It is low in fat and healthy. It is also very simple to make. To be honest, we love this dish too.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and padded dry with paper towels
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 to 4
- Place a non-stick pan on stove.
- Turn heat to medium and add oil.
- When oil is hot, add garlic.
- Stir fry garlic for about 20 seconds.
- Add shrimp and stir fry until color turns read.
- Add ketchup and soy sauce.
- Mix well with shrimp.
- Add pepper flakes and mix.
- Turn off heat and serve on a plate.
- It is important to dry the shrimp (with paper towels) first before cooking. Otherwise the dish will be too watery and the dish will loose a lot of flavor.
- You can easily get peeled and deveined shrimp from the supermarket.
- Don't overcook the shrimp. When cooked right, the shrimp should taste juicy and not chewy.
- Add more red pepper flakes if you like it spicier.