Steaming eggs with pork is a popular Chinese dish. It is mostly served at home. Traditional recipes usually calls for a mix of chicken eggs and salted duck eggs. We use only chicken eggs as they are more available. Instead of pork, some recipes also use seafood, such as scallops or shrimp.
This dish is very simple to make. Just season the eggs and pork, mix them together, and let them cook in a steamer for about 20 minutes.
This dish is very flavorful and goes very well with steamed rice or rice porridge. With no added oil, this dish is also very healthy.
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 to 3
- Add soy sauce to pork and mix.
- Add eggs, salt and water to pork and mix.
- Transfer pork and eggs to a dish for steaming.
- Fill steamer with enough water and place it on stove.
- Turn heat to high.
- When water is boiling, put pork and eggs in steamer.
- Close lid and turn heat to medium high.
- Steam for 20 to 30 minutes until fully cooked
- Turn off heat and serve.
- Make sure pork is cooked through but don't over cook
- It is important to add some water to the eggs and pork mixture. Otherwise, the eggs may become too firm after steaming.
- For extra flavor and decoration, some chopped scallions may be added on top of the dish at the end.