This dessert soup uses Azuki (or Adzuki) beans which are just called red beans in China. Azuki beans have a nuttier and sweeter taste than other kinds of beans and are used mainly for dessert dishes in Asia. Azuki beans are very nutritious. They are a good source of potassium, iron, and dietary fiber.
Traditional recipes use preserved tangerine peel. We prefer the orange flavor instead. We use a whole orange instead of orange peel to prevent the bitterness of the orange peel from getting into the soup. We add a little vanilla extract at the end to give the soup a mellow taste and wonderful smell.
- 10 ounces red (Azuki) beans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 cups water
- 1 orange
- 3 to 4
- Put beans in a slow cooker (Crockpot)
- Add water and sugar, and mix well.
- Turn heat to high
- Close lid and let it cook for 8 hours
- Open lid.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add orange.
- Close lid again and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Open lid and remove orange.
- Turn off heat and serve on small bowls.
- This popular Chinese dessert soup can be served either warm or chilled.
- Using a slower cooker really helps make this dish simple to prepare.